Tuesday, August 07, 2007

The Mighty Mur

Mur Lafferty.

Sometimes called the Grand Dame of Podcasting, mostly by Tee Morris, and though it’s a compliment, if I were a young woman, I’d tell him to shut it. Mur has two podcasts, I Should Be Writing and Geek Fu Action Grip. I’ll be discussing the former.

I Should Be Writing is a podcast that discusses her views on different aspects of writing, has interviews and the occasional guest host. But the over all theme of the show is in the title.

Write.

Now, or soon.

Don’t talk about it.

Think a little about it.

Do it.

The main flaw in Mur’s podcast is that there are too many long pauses. Sometimes she is searching for the right word, or considering her answer before speaking, but there are times when I think the ‘cast had ended prematurely and I check my mp3 player. This is not a criminal offence, but bugs the hell out of me.

Mur also uses the podcast as a live ‘blog’ and updates her life in writing. She is an editor of a podcast magazine, and does some non-fiction work. She has written a series of books about two friends who have died and gone to heaven, but they don’t like it and search the afterlife for something better, which she reads on her other podcast.

I like Mur’s podcast because she is much like myself, a writer still trying to get that big break, though she has done more to achieve her goal than I have.

Hmm. Perhaps I Should Be Writing.


Mike

1 Comments:

At 12:23 a.m., Blogger Princess Scientist said...

Wow, that's the only thing that bugs you about my podcasts? Considering all the things I could be doing wrong, I'm pretty OK with that. But I'll try to be more aware of it while editing. :)

Thanks for blogging about my casts and for the kind words. I'm glad you're listening.

And good luck with the writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home