Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar, Oscar, Ossscaarr!

The above is from the TV series, "The Odd Couple". Oscar and Felix are vacationing in the Caribbean and Felix makes up a Calypso song. Here is the clip on U Tube.
Whenever it is time for the Oscar awards, the song always pops in my head.

So, here is my take on the Oscars. When I heard they were going to 'revamp' the show, I was concerned. Considering the number of 'Democrats' in the acting profession, the awards are remarkable 'Republican' in who gets what. And when I saw the promo of how they were going to do it, apparently revamping means stealing ideas from 60 to 70 years in the past.

And yet they managed to pull it off. I liked the set, and I liked closeness of the stage to the audience.

I thought it interesting that 'Slumdog Millionaire," and "The Curious Tale of Benjamin Button," took so many technical awards, but that is the nature of popular movies released late in the year. Had the "Dark Knight," come out around Christmas, I'm sure the awards would have been a different story.

Which brings me to Heath Ledger who won a posthumous Best Supporting Actor award. I have no doubt he deserved the award, and the family accepted the award for his daughter. Not a dry eye in the house after that. Poor Bill Mahr, to have to come on after that--well I digress.

To win and Oscar is a boon to any acting career. Heath Ledger is dead. He doesn't need it. I feel if there is a case of a posthumous Oscar, then another should be given to a living nominee. Might sound cold, but then it feels like -20 C with the wind today.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home