Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Morning Musings

GM is asking for FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS!!! WTF?

I sympathize with the employees, I really do. They will never find a job that pays so well for what they do, and they all know it, (unlike some Canada Post employees, but that a whine of another flavor.) Let's not forget the employees who support the auto industry, the parts makers right down to the waitress at the local donut shop. They are the real casualties of this recession.

But seriously, $50,000,0000,000.00! And what is the grand restructuring plan?

Well, close down factories and layoffs, of course. Put more people out of work, that way they'll have more money to, ah, hmm. . .

Anyway, once the economy gets back on track we can continue making our gas-guzzling, er, we'll get back to you on that.

The real key to GM survival is pricing. We need to keep our cars unaffordable, beyond the means of the average, ah . . .

Oh, screw it! We have to answer to our share holders. They demand dividends, and our poor VP's need bonuses, lots and lots of bonuses because they've been under alot of stress lately. We stick to the same policy that has served GM well since the Jurassic: Take care of the Big Guys and the little people will fall into place--like they have a choice.

And if that doesn't work, we'll just ask for another 50 Billion.

I say buy a lottery ticket. That's what I'm doing.

Quick Movie Review: "Iron Man." Believe the hype. It's everthing a good superheroe movie should be.


Mike

2 Comments:

At 12:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike, someone always has to pick on us hard-working posties. What have we to do with the GM bailout. I feel sorry for them, too, but at least our jobs have (some) security.

 
At 12:07 p.m., Blogger Mike Rimar said...

I worked for Canada Post for a short time during the Christmas rush way back when. I found the union employees rude, and abusive. (nothing like getting told off by a 55 year old house wife for daring to sit in the cafeteria during break). They were pack animals, finding strength in their numbers to harass us seasonal guys who only wanted to make some extra cash for Christmas. Once, I overheard a conversation by one dockworker who was sooooo happy to be quitting Canada Post and get himself a real job, then proceeded to smash some melons onto the sidewalk near the front entrance. I guess he was looking for something in produce. Not an exaggeration or a made up story.

I know it is wrong to lump in every Postie in with the group I had to deal with. I know most Posties are kind, hard working people. I have no idea what the present union attitude is in Canada Post. I just know my experience has tainted me and so far, other than a few examples, I've yet to see anything, or anyone change that opinion.

So, I do not pick on Canada Post just because they are easy targets, but because they pissed me off, and I can carry a grudge. :)

Mike



Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home