Thursday, January 31, 2008

Another retired Barger

For the most part, my local community newspaper does a fine job reporting local news and community events. The editing, however, leaves a lot to be desired. For example, the latest issue ran a story, "Barger hangs up the clippers after 40 years."

Well...

I didn't know we had bargers working the area. Hell, I didn't even know we had barges, or that they needed clippers.

Okay, enough cheap jokes. The article was, of course about a local barber.

The thing is, this was the HEADLINE in thick bold font, not a typo buried in the fifth paragraph. Sadly, this happens fairly often with this paper. I would hate to be this poor guy. My father retired a number of years ago. He, too, was a barber and had an article with his picture in the paper. He has it framed and hanging in the house.

After 40 years of work in a profession largely self-employed so there is no gold watch at the end of service, just a comment in the local paper to commemorate your retirement, and this is what you get? I doubt he'll be framing this one, just lining his bird cage.


On a bright side, I've finished Chapter 5! Woohoo!


Mike

1 Comments:

At 4:54 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Could have been worse. They could have called him a "barfer".

-Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home