Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Ad Astra Update

Well, I’ve finished my very first convention as a panelist and I have to say, I like sitting on this side of the table. Where else will you get to sit with GoH Cory Doctorow, as I did Friday night, and have him listen as if I knew what I are talking about--which I did of course, ahem.

That panel had me extremely nervous, but the one I should have really worried about was the Girl Ghosts. Only about five people showed up in the audience and it was evident that everyone knew more about the subject than me. In my defense, I did not know I would be on the panel till Friday night when I picked up my badge.

Oh well, live and learn.

Sunday was the best of the three days for me. I attended a panel on editing where I always learn at least something new. This time I learned to write sign like this:

NO TRESSPASSING

Not sure about the punctuation though. Hmmm.

Anyway, after that I was on the Writers of the Future panel and that was just loads of fun. Past Winner Alan James Gardner moderated. Robert Sawyer, who is a judge, also attended, as well as Jim C. Hines, another past winner. This year’s winners Steve Kotowych and Tony Pi rounded out the cast of characters. We had a good crowd and most seemed genuinely interested in the contest.

After that was an anthology book launch by Canadian author Julie Czerneda where Tony PI and I won prizes of many books. Very cool.

After that was my final panel on magazines vs. anthologies which went very well.

I had a great time, and now I had better get something published so I have a reason to go next year.

Got some pictures on the website. Someday I will figure out links with this thing.

Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home